I tried all the frozen versions and I may as well have been just eating watery cheese. So my love of cauliflower cheese was put on the back burner. Then Romanesco came to my rescue. I found this luminous green spiky veg in Avoca Monkstown and had to try it. So I came up with this recipe and low and behold it solved our problems, he loved it and so did I. So why not give it a go!
1 head of Romanesco
250ml of cream
200g of Grated Gruyère
- Chop the romanesco as you would a cauliflower or broccoli and add to a pot of boiling water.
- Allow to boil for 2-3 minutes until the romanesco is nearly tender but still has some bite.
- Strain the romanesco and place in an oven proof dish.
- Cover with 3/4 of the cheese and then add the cream. Sprinkle the last 1/4 on the top.
- Place in preheated oven (180C) for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
- Serve and enjoy!